NEWS RELEASE DETAILS
DATE/TIME: Wednesday, November 24th, 2004 / 04:30 PM
SUBJECT:5 STORE CLERKS ARRESTED IN UNDERAGE ALCOHOL SALES STING
On Tuesday evening, members of the Department’s IMPACT Team (Integrated Municipal Police Anti-Crime Team) – in a joint initiative with the New York State Police – conducted an underage alcohol sales sting at 34 city convenience stores.
The following clerks were arrested for selling alcoholic beverages to an under-21 police operative. Each was charged with the misdemeanors of “Selling an alcoholic beverage to a person under the age of 21” (Alcohol Beverage Control Law) and “Unlawfully dealing with a child” (Penal Law):
* Samir Akar, 63, Amani’s Grocery @ 1675 Broadway
* Irma Morel 47, Fabio Grocery @ 859 Albany Street
* Ali Nagi, 52, M & N Grocery @ 315 Craig Street
* Namat Rasoully, 37, Arizona Deli & Pizza @ 1007 Barrett Street
* Jay Van Vraken, 40, Getty Mart @ 2248 Broadway
The stores also face administrative sanctions by the State Liquor Authority.
This initiative was part of an ongoing effort to verify that stores selling alcoholic beverages in the city are complying with the law. More initiatives are planned in the future.