DATE/TIME: Tuesday, March 22nd, 2005 / 03:15 PM

A Far Rockaway man and a Schenectady woman have been arrested on numerous charges following a vehicle pursuit and an associated raid that occurred on Elm Street late Monday evening.

At about 10:20 p.m., Vice Squad detectives were preparing to execute a search warrant for drugs and weapons at 148 Elm when they observed 2 men, a woman and an infant leave the residence, get into a 2005 Infinity sedan, and drive north on Elm. When patrol officers attempted to pull the vehicle over, the driver refused to comply and led officers on a 10-minute pursuit through the east side of the city, into Niskayuna, and back into the city where he eventually returned to Elm. After stopping the vehicle, the driver ran but was apprehended in a backyard on Elm. During the pursuit, the driver threw a loaded .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun from the vehicle. The gun was recovered.

Nobody was injured during the pursuit. The 3-month-old female infant riding in the car was evaluated at St. Clare’s Hospital as a precaution and was found to be uninjured. She was returned to her mother who was a passenger in the car.

The driver, 22-year-old William Davis, is charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon-3rd degree, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Obstructing Governmental Administration-2nd, Resisting Arrest, Aggravated Unlicensed Operation-3rd, Reckless Driving, and several traffic infractions. He was remanded to the Schenectady County Jail. Davis is currently on parole for a drug conviction.

Shortly after the pursuit ended, Vice Squad detectives and the Special Operations Squad executed the search warrant at 148 Elm. During a search of the residence, nearly 2 grams of cocaine was seized.

The resident, 24-year-old Tanika Smith, was arrested for Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance-5th degree and Endangering the Welfare of a Child. Smith’s 5-year-old son was inside the residence at the time. He was placed into the custody of Schenectady County Child Protective Services. Smith was remanded to the Schenectady County Jail.