NEWS RELEASE DETAILS
DATE/TIME: Friday, July 11th, 2008 / 02:00 PM
SUBJECT:Mayor Stratton to Swear-in 8 New Police Recruits
Mayor Brian U. Stratton is pleased to announce the hiring of 8 new police officers, and will introduce them in a swearing-in ceremony on Monday, July 14th, 2008 at 11 a.m. in the rotunda of City Hall.
Seven of the officers will enter the Zone 5 Law Enforcement Training Academy on Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 for 6 months of basic training, followed by 12 weeks of Department supervised field training. One officer will immediately commence modified field training as he previously fulfilled his New York State Basic Training requirement with the New York City Police Department.
The 8 new appointments will increase the Department’s staffing level to 167.
The new officers are:
* Andrew Dannible, 20, of Esperance. Dannible is a 2008 graduate of Schenectady County Community College and had been a Certified Lab Technician for Lenscrafters.
* Michael Hudson, 24, of Scotia. Hudson had attended the State University at Albany, then graduated from Evangel College where he was award a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice. Hudson previously worked for the Wal-Mart Corporation.
* Derek Reilly, 21, of Rotterdam. Reilly is a 2008 graduate of Schenectady County Community College where he was awarded an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice and Humanities. Reilly had worked for the New York State Police and the Schenectady County Sheriff’s Department.
* Timothy Rizzo, 24, of Rotterdam. Rizzo is a 2007 graduate of the State University at Albany where he was awarded a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts. Rizzo had worked for Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield and Scarborough’s Restaurant.
* Anthony Savignano, 24, of Schenectady. Savignano comes to the Schenectady Police Department after being employed as a Police Officer for 3 years with the New York City Police Department.
* Michael Schonewald, 23, of Schenectady. Schonewald is a 2007 graduate of Hudson Valley Community College where he was awarded an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice. Schonewald had worked for Planet Fitness.
* Matthew Thorne, 26, of Schenectady. Thorne was awarded an Associate’s Degree from Hudson Valley Community College and a Bachelor’s Degree from Utica College where he graduated Cum Laude. Thorne previously worked as a Probation Officer for Schenectady County.
* Mark Weekes, 23, of Schenectady. Weekes was honorably discharged from the United States Air Force holding the rank of Staff Sergeant. Weekes is currently a member of the New York State Air National Guard and previously worked for Brown Coach.