DATE/TIME: Thursday, February 26th, 2004 / 02:20 PM

Detectives have charged 2 men in the May 15th, 2003 shooting death of William Howard that occurred in front of 852 Stanley Street at about 8:40 p.m.

Hector Torres, 25, formerly of 332 Furman Street, has been charged with Murder-2nd degree and Robbery-1st degree. Torres is currently incarcerated at the Five Points Correctional Facility in Romulus completing a sentence for a weapons possession conviction after violating the conditions of his parole. Torres was the victim of a shooting that occurred on May 30th, 2003 at about 11:10 a.m. on State Street at Selden Street. While being treated for his injuries at St. Clare’s Hospital, he was found to possess crack cocaine which resulted in his being charged with felony and misdemeanor drug possession. Torres was on parole at the time of that arrest.

Shamel Davis, 17, formerly of 366 Duane Avenue, has been charged with Murder-2nd degree. Davis is currently incarcerated at the Elmira Correctional Facility serving a sentence for a drug conviction. Davis is the younger brother of Theodore Haynes, who is serving a 46- years-to-life sentence at Great Meadow Correctional Facility for murdering a pizza delivery man at Yates Village on November 28, 2000.

The charges against Torres and Davis result from the following incident: Earlier in the day on May 15th, 2003, Torres robbed a man of his gold chain at gunpoint in the backyard of 845 Stanley. The man was a friend of Howard and Robert Gary (who was shot with Howard that evening) and he informed them of the robbery. That evening, Howard, Gary, and the robbery victim went to Stanley Street looking for Torres in an attempt to retrieve the necklace. They located Torres, who was with Davis at the time, and an argument ensued. During the argument, Torres and Davis – each armed with a handgun – opened fire on Howard and Gary. Howard was shot twice (in the groin and shoulder) and collapsed on the sidewalk. He was treated at the scene by Schenectady Fire Department paramedics and transported to Ellis Hospital where he died. Gary was shot once in the buttocks. He left the scene after the shooting and sought treatment at St. Clare’s Hospital.

Torres and Davis were arraigned this afternoon in Police Court, and will be returned to their respective correctional facilities while they await further court proceedings.